Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Good....The Bad...And The Ugly

The results are in and it's a mixed bag.  The most important to me was the reading of the PET scan and I was not disappointed.  The tumor involvement is definitely less than the last scan.  If I had to put a percentage on it I would say the liver is 50% compromised. That is still a big number but compared to 80%-90% at the beginning, I am very happy with the results after only 4 treatments.  My tumor marker is down another 100 points to 614 so that is also good news.  All my other numbers are about the same as the last lab work with the exception of two important numbers.  Unfortunately these two numbers have caused the Doctor to suspend my treatment for 1 week.  He really wants to add the drug Avastin to my treatment regimen, but I have to have the right numbers because of the potency of this drug.  My platelet count is still too low and my bilirubin (which is a liver function marker) is too high.  The Doctor feels another week off of the chemo meds should get these numbers back on track.  As I've said in past posts, "the only thing that will stop my treatment is my own body".  Well, it has happened and I have to say I'm disappointed.  I really psych myself up for the treatment because I know what's in store.  So when I was told I have to wait a week I felt discouraged, I didn't want my treatment to stop.  Now that I've had some time to think about it I feel a little better.  I do get one more week off and I should be able to do some things while I feel good physically.  I also know that the Lord is guiding me and my medical team and if this is his will I'll take it and make the best of it.  I go back for tests next Thursday and if the numbers are good round 5 starts Friday. Keep praying!

4 comments:

  1. It is ok because now you can visit me this weekend and we can get dinner. Maybe at the HOLLA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't Billy Rubin a reliever for the Brewers in the 80s? Great to hear that the "big picture" numbers are down and that the other ones can be coaxed back into an acceptable range. Enjoy the extra time off! It was great to see pictures of you with the gang at Sam's game and out sledding with the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On another note, I've been watching YouTube videos of the Monkees. Remember when our "band" used to play along to Monkees songs in the garage and the basement?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Bob! Also, more prayers for you Chuck.

    ReplyDelete