Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Time for more tests

I've been lucky for the past couple weeks with very few hospital visits for testing.  This week I am making up the difference.  I was there yesterday for about 3 hours for a PET scan.  I think I've explained this before but for those who don't remember, this is a imaging procedure that first involves injecting me with a radioactive substance.  I then have to lay still for 1 hour while it circulates throughout my system.  Now I'm ready for the scan which takes about 30 minutes in the "tube".  The radioactive solution adheres to the tumors and lights up brightly on the film if the tumor is active.  The less the brightness, the less the tumor is living or growing.
I have an appointment Wednesday with the Oncologist.  During this appointment I will have blood drawn for the standard lab work.  We will be looking very closely at the platelet count.  If my platelet count is high enough we will discuss adding a new drug to my next Chemo treatment.  We will also review the  results of the PET scan and see if the treatment I am currently on is working to kill off the tumors.
If all goes well at my Wednesday appointment , I will start round 5 of Chemo on Thursday.  I will update the results of each test as I get them.  Thanks for all the support and the comments, I love reading them.  Keep praying!!

No comments:

Post a Comment