Friday, February 24, 2012

Oh what a night !!

Wow, I could not have asked for a better night.  Sammy's last basketball game of his college career, senior night and a surprise visit by Matt, Allison and the girls.  I could not be more proud of my family.  As I said in my last post, this night was something I was looking forward to being able to attend. I think I got more than I expected.  Before the game Vic and I were asked to walk Sam out on the court in order to honor his accomplishments, which we did.  Over 100 games played, scoring average, rebounds etc. but the one that I was proudest of was the fact that he was Academic All Conference every year he was there.  Just prior to walking out on the court, Sam asked if we could say a prayer.  We thanked God for all he had done to help Sam while he played.  We thanked God for allowing me to be able to attend this night and we asked for his  help and guidance for Sam during this game.  Well, the power of prayer strikes again.  Sammy had the best game I had ever seen him play.  He led the team in scoring, played shut down defense and just seemed to enjoy his last time on the court as a player.  What really made it special is that it was all done in front of Matt and Allison (Sammy did not know they would be there) and the best fans in the world...Uncle Bobby, Auntie Donna, Kyle, Katie and Lauren Duesing...Granpa and Nana Duesing...Auntie Lori, John, Jordan and Julia.  I want to personally thank all of them for their support of Sam during his career.  I will miss the time we spent together going to Chick Fil-A for dinner before the games and the laughs and angst we shared during the seasons.  I look forward to being able to share time with them again while watching their children during their sports endeavors.  I pray that although this chapter is closed,. I will be around for many more to open.  Thanks again everyone and keep praying.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Sammy!!! Glad you all could be there to share his special night with him :) I think you would be equally proud of all of the praise the radio announcer gave Sam as his "favorite person on the Parkside campus" who is "the hardest worker he has ever seen...someone who will be successful in anything he chooses to do in life...a player who put his heart and soul into this program for 5 years". I think having your son as an outstanding athlete (three 3-pointers in a row WOW!) who is recognized even more so for the stand-out guy he is shows what an excellent job you have done the last 23 (yikes he's getting old) years.

    ReplyDelete