Thursday, March 22, 2012

The numbers are in

I got the results of my lab tests today.  My numbers that show how my liver is functioning did not change from the last time.  They are still on the high side but they show that my liver is actually working well.  My bilirubin count went from .9 to 1 so nothing to worry about.  The real good news was that my platelet count went up to 88 from 78.  I know, which numbers should go up and which ones should go down?  Here's a quick review: All liver function numbers should go down; platelet numbers should go up; all blood numbers (red count, white count, hemoglobin) should go up; tumor marker should go down.  Unfortunately my tumor marker did not go down.  It actually went up from 427 to 496.  This is the first time my tumor marker has gone up since I started treatment.  I was told by the nurse practitioner to not worry about the increase because this is not uncommon during treatment.  I will admit I am disappointed with these results but, I have to realize these numbers are still quite a bit less than when I started.  I will use a Wisconsin based analogy for how I will look at these numbers.  When your car is stuck in the snow you have to rock it back and forth in order to get it out and move forward. This is my rocking back and forth in order to get unstuck.  I have another appointment next Thursday and I pray for a lower number in order to continue my journey forward.  No one said it would be easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment