Thursday, May 3, 2012

Round 8 over today... and other ramblings

I think I have to start referring to my chemo rounds in 1/2 increments.  I now have my chemo infusion every week.  My chemo pills are still taken for 2 weeks.  Based on this schedule I will be starting round 9 tomorrow with an infusion and round 9 1/2 next Thursday within the start up of the pills again.  As I project out into the future,  I may have to refer to my chemo treatment as one big ongoing round of treatment.  I will do my best to try and keep everyone updated on how many infusions and how many pill rounds I have received.

As I said, I will have an infusion tomorrow, but that's not all.  I will start out with blood work and labs, then I will meet with the doctor for a consultation regarding my progress and then I receive my chemo infusion.  It looks like it's going to be a long day at the hospital.  I'm glad that Vic will be there with me to keep me company.

How's my rash doing?  Thank you for asking.  I think I have started the second phase of the rash. It is now starting to dry out and crust over.  It sound gross but it actually looks better than before as long as I keep lotion on it.  I would say it looks more like a burn and less like acne.  So I got that going for me!

I have a very exciting event to attend this Saturday.  The annual Coaches vs Cancer fund raiser will be held at the Kohl Center in Madison to benefit the American Cancer Society.  Basketball coaches from  prominent programs in WI, including division I UW and UWM, division II UW Parkside, division III Edgewood College and UW Platteville, will be hosting.  I am excited because I have been selected as "Fan of the Year" by Coach Reigel of UW Parkside and I will be recognized for my ongoing battle with stage IV cancer.  I hope my message of prayer, positive attitude and support from family and friends is accepted and adopted by all who need it.

Lastly, yesterday someone asked me, "How do you stay positive?"  For me it is simple.  I have a choice to be positive or negative.  I choose positive.  How can't I?  I am continuously exposed to more good than bad.  This exposure comes from my wonderful family and friends.  Who can't be positive when you are continuously being told how much you are loved,  when you know you can ask for help with anything and you will get it, when you are being prayed for by people all over the world,  when you look at your  blog and see it has been viewed over 16,000 times in 6 different countries,  when technology allows you to see your grand daughters on the computer having a dance party or singing their favorite Disney song or taking a bath or saying their prayers before they go to bed,  when your 3 year old grand daughter asks if her prayers are working, when your 2 year old grand daughter calls you on the phone and asks if you need a band aid for the "owie" on your face. These are just a few of the positive events I am exposed to and there are so many more.  When I feel the negative creeping in, which it does happen, I know I can pray for positive thoughts to take over.  Lord knows, I've got enough of them to choose from.  Thank you everyone !

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the "Fan of the Year" award! Does that make you an old FOTY? I wish I could get down there for the ceremony, but I've got an MS Walk early Sunday morning. Make sure someone gets some video of the Madison event. I'd love to see it. Have fun and enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chuck, did I notice a quote from the movie CaddyShack in this post? Carl Spackler: "So I got that going for me." You made me smile friend - whether or not any reference to CaddyShack was actualy made. Congrat's on "Fan of the Year"! Thanks for your inspiring words..

    ReplyDelete