Thursday, April 19, 2012

Time to start over

I just got back from my doctors appointment and the news was not real good.  The tumors in my liver are growing again.  I went into this appointment with a feeling that this was going to be the outcome.  My tumor markers were going up and I started to experience some liver pain over the past couple weeks.  My biggest fear was that the cancer had moved to my lungs or pancreas.  Thank God, this did not happen.  The tumor involvement has stayed confined to my liver.  What do we do now?  We start over with a different medication.  My doctor has decided to give me Erbitux.  This medication is administered via injection and is given to me every week.  I will continue to take my other 6 chemo pills every day for two weeks at a time, so I will be attacking the tumors by taking the same amount of medication, just at different intervals.  The main side affect for this new medication is not good.  I will be developing a severe rash on my face and upper body.  The rash looks like a combination of burns and acne.  I'm not to happy about that, but it beats out the alternative.  I started this battle at the end of November.  Six months later and I'm in much better shape now than I was at the beginning.  My first attempt to beat this showed excellent results but, unfortunately we came up short.  It's time to start over again and I pray for the same great results that I have enjoyed over the past 6 months.  One step at a time!

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there, stay positive and faithful! Your wonderful attitude will only help you conquer this monster of a disease. Thinking of you and praying for you daily!

    Liz and Paul Ricci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that sucks. But we'll take a new beginning, a new angle to move forward. I was reading about Erbitux on a cancer support page and a number of people said that, beside the rash, the side effects are pretty mild compared to other drugs. So there's your silver lining in that cloud. Good luck with your first injection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear that. I can't believe how positive you are and how you look at each roadblock as just another path down that long road which we all pray ends in recovery. Keep the faith and the Higgins are all praying for you.

    ReplyDelete