Thursday, April 12, 2012

Round 6 is over...here are the numbers

I've taken my last 3 pills for round 6.  This starts the good news portion of my post.  I went to the hospital today for blood work.  I was very nervous to hear the results.  Prior to this round my tumor marker was heading in the wrong direction, up.  The treatment itself seemed to be rougher to handle this round than it had been in the past.  When the Nurse Practitioner came in with the results she had all the numbers except for the tumor marker. I got the good news first.  My liver function numbers were all good and within the high side of normal.  My platelet count went up to 84 from 77.  The nurse said I am her only patient who's   count goes up during treatment.  She said it's strange but we will take it any way we can. The tumor marker was still not available.  She asked if we wanted to wait for the results and we said, "yes." After about 20 minutes she came in with he results and they were not what we had hoped for.  The bad news portion of this post, my tumor marker numbers went up again, 699 from 583.  Nobody has an absolute reason for this but, the PET scan that I have scheduled for next week will show definitively if there is tumor growth occurring.  I have to focus on the good because that information is confirmed, my liver is functioning well.  I cannot dwell on the bad because the reason for the tumor marker numbers rising is actually unknown at this time.  I have to be patient and positive.  I must trust in the Lord and accept his will.  I will continue to pray for healing and ask everyone to do the same.

2 comments:

  1. Chuck,

    I have been following your blog for months and you are a true inspiration to me. I know today's results weren't what you hoped for. But remember this...as a Christ follower, in the midst of suffering, hope breathes.

    Love,
    Peggy Summers

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you've said before, you can't control the circumstances of your situation. You can only control your reaction to them. But no one realistically expects you not to be occasionally angry or sad. I know you're not going to dwell on the bad news or let it define you, just like you've dealt with everything else in your life. Trust yourself and take strength from the support of everyone who truly cares about you.

    ReplyDelete