Friday, April 20, 2012

1st "New Start" injection complete

I've received my first injection of the drug Erbitux today.  This marks the start of what is called my "second-line of treatment".  All the nurses were very familiar with this drug and they were also very familiar with the major side effect, the rash.  As of tonight I have not felt any side effects that are different from the other drugs I was taking, mainly fatigue.  The rash seems to be a definite.  The severity of the rash is the question.  When we asked what to expect we were given the infamous "everyone is different" answer.  In severe cases it could be extremely painful and cause the treatment to be halted.  The moderate cases can be helped with pills and creams and the minor cases can be helped with OTC soaps and lotions.  As I said before, the rash looks like a blend of a burn and acne and covers your head, face, and upper body.  I'm working on the lines, "turn away I look hideous"; "I am not a monster" and Frankenstein's famous " ARRRRGH".  I guess it all depends on the severity of the rash.
The hospital Chaplin stopped by my room today and asked Vic and I how I was doing.  My answer was a simple "good".  Then he asked how we were doing spiritually and we both answered "tremendous".  He said he was happy to hear that because he always gives credit to God's miracles first and the doctors and nurses second.  We all agreed in the name of God for my recovery and after he left I realized what he said was so true.  Based on our answers regarding how I felt physically and spiritually, it confirmed we also believe the only true answer to my future is based on God's will and we are comfortable with that.  We know the knowledge and decisions of the doctors and nurses are all part of the bigger picture who's artist is our Lord Jesus.  Same prayers, different chapter.  Keep them coming.

1 comment:

  1. Chuck, I just need to fire from the hip and not self edit as I do on occasion. Here goes. You know that you mean a lot to me and my family. Rash or no rash, anybody who sees you for who you truly are recognizes a truly GREAT husband, dad, brother and son. They would see, as do I, a person with a great sense of humor and purpose. A man of virtue and strength. THAT's exactly what I see. I THANK GOD to have known you and your family for as long as I have. I have learned much from your example. It's become ever so much more important to me over time as a husband and father to two great boys. We love you pal and will keep praying!

    ReplyDelete