Monday, April 16, 2012

Big week ahead

All things considered, I have really been enjoying the start to my week off from treatment.  I've been able to get out in the yard, cut some grass, work in the garden and best of all I have my dog back.  Believe me, Ramzi's energy is contagious and I love having him home whenever possible.                                         I've always been the one to handle the yard work.  The family joke has always been about the number of years I have spent trying to get the lawn perfect and it never happens. I would definitely say lawn care is  an obsession with me.  I would consider it laughable to have someone else riding on my lawn mower and cutting my grass.  Well, get ready to laugh because the unthinkable has happened.  It's amazing how a cancer diagnosis changes the way you think about everything.  I knew that I must teach Vic how to take care of and use the lawn mowing equipment.  She learned how to change oil, clean air filters, and charge and hook up batteries.  She was also "allowed" to cut the grass and did a great job with everything.  Although we were both happy with the results, we were also saddened by the reason for all this.  The last couple of lab results has given us reason to pause and think about the future.  We are both aware of the importance this weeks tests will have on how we proceed into the future.  I have the PET scan on Tuesday, the consultation with my doctor on Thursday and depending on the results, Chemo starts again on Friday.
It's going to be a long week. It looks like the weather is not going to be too bad and I should be able to get outside and do some things to keep my mind off the obvious.  As always, I will continue to pray for God's blessing and use the strength he has given me to cope with whatever news I receive.  I also want to thank everyone for your support.  Whether it's with comments on the blog or in person, I can't tell you how good it makes me feel to hear your thoughts.  Thanks again and God bless you all.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chuck,
    You don't know me, but I know Vicki from her wonderful work at Kohl's child development center. As you know, today she moved back to Site 2 after having many months at Site 1. I had heard that "Vicki's husband was not well", so I talked to her this morning and heard more of your story. I will tell you that your blog is a blessing, and your faith is evident. I pray that you would be encouraged this week. Your wife is honestly one of the sweetest people I know. She shines with so much love and faith, and I can tell from your words that you do as well. Your testimony is a blessing and your thankfulness in this time of illness is remarkable. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'll keep following your blog and you can count on another family to be praying for you and Vicki and your journey.
    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chuck -

    I second what Dawn says. I wrote a long time ago at the beginning of your journey - we met Vicky when our son first started at Kohls Daycare. Your wife is a true gift - we were so happy to hear she was coming back to Site 2 - our son Drew just loves her! We keep you in our thoughts and follow your blog closely. You are an inspiration to many and your faith is contagious. Keep fighting hard!!!

    Sincerely,
    The Schweikert Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're all thinking of you and Vic as you go through this week. It's good to hear you're able to get out and enjoy the simple pleasures of a man and his dog . . . and a man and his yard. I thinked you've helped us all to appreciate the little joyous moments in life and to put the minor irritations in perspective. Megan wants you to know that her choir got gold in Chicago last weekend along with a big trophy. She must have inherited Grandma Katula's lovely singing ability. Hope your scan goes well.

    ReplyDelete