Tuesday, June 26, 2012

New Chapter

I have to consider myself very lucky.  I have been going through treatment for 6 months and I have not really experienced any of the "bad" side effects, until now.  I've heard of so many people who had to quit treatment or have it altered after a couple sessions because they could not handle the side effects.  I know the good results I have had so far is a direct result of uninterrupted treatment at a high level of potency.  Now things have changed and I must be patient with the direction my story is taking.
I finally started to experience some of the bad side effects from the chemo.  I've talked about the infections in my fingernails and the loss of feeling in my hands and feet.  Unfortunately, these problems are getting worse. The nail infections are starting to show up in my toenails now and they are not getting better on my fingers.  They are also extremely painful to the touch.  I have been taking a stronger antibiotic for 4 days now.  Hopefully it will start working soon.  The loss of feeling in my hands and feet are a direct result of the chemo pill I am taking.  This side effect was supposed to happen months ago.  Thankfully it has taken this long to manifest itself.  The timing for my trip out to Matt and Allison's was very good because the joints in my left hand have become very stiff.  I don't think I would be able to hold a golf club right now. Just a note; if I was not able to hold a golf club properly while I was golfing with Matt and Sam last week, I would not have been able to birdie the last hole.  Just Sayin.
As a direct result of these side effects the doctor has suspended all treatment until I get better.  This has actually been difficult for me because the treatment has been working so well and I want to keep it going.  I have had more discomfort with the side effects of the medications than I have had with the cancer itself.  I just have to realize that what people, including my nurses, have been saying is true.  I have had a miraculous run so far and I should not let this setback get to me.  I have put my faith in the Lord and his plan for my outcome.  I can't stop now.  I now pray for patience as well as healing for all my ailments.  I do go back to the hospital for tests on Thursday and I will accept whatever they feel is best.  After all, this is a marathon, not a sprint and for those of you who know me well, you are all very happy it is not a sprint.  (I'm not very fast.)  Keep Praying!

1 comment:

  1. psummers42@hotmail.comJune 27, 2012 at 10:21 AM

    Chuck, I know you must be frustrated, but He who began a good work in you will see it through to completion. Stay strong and patient. Your victory is right around the corner! You are always in my prayers. Peggy

    ReplyDelete