Thursday, June 21, 2012

Back to reality

Sam and I got back home last night from our trip to Baltimore.  We both had a great time with Matt, Allison and the girls.  I want to thank Matt and Al for everything they did for us while we were out there.  I have not had the opportunity to spend time with both of my boys together.  While Matt was playing football, Sammy was playing basketball so our schedules never seemed to match.  This was a special time for me and we took full advantage of it.  I was able to play golf with the boys twice and Sam and Matt played three times.  As an added bonus, we all played very well.  I will admit, playing 18 holes of golf was physically demanding for me but, at the same time it was emotionally and spiritually uplifting.  To be able to see Matt and Sam finally spending time together as brothers filled my heart with joy and I thanked God for allowing me to be here to enjoy it.
I also thank God for the time I was able to spend with my grand daughters.  Lillian and Caroline are truly my angels.  No matter how bad I may feel, they are able to "make me all better".  Every day I was awakened by a very loud "Good Morning!" followed by the girls climbing into the bed.  We then watched cartoons until breakfast was ready.  I can't think of a better way to start my day.  I just soaked in the time with the girls. We didn't have to do anything major, as a matter of fact, it was the little things we did together that I enjoyed the most.  Watching movies, playing make believe, running in the sprinkler, arts and crafts, hide and seek, reading books and anything else that made us laugh was our daily ritual.  I am often asked, "What keeps you so positive as you fight this cancer?".  Read the previous few sentences and you will have my answer.  I want to be here for a long time so I can enjoy as much time as possible with my grand children, current and future, they are the light of my life.
Last but not least, I want to thank Allison.  She is always willing to open her home to us when we want to come out to visit.  I realize that having people come out to visit creates additional burdens and she is always willing to take them on with no problems at all.  I also want to thank her for her relentless support regarding my illness.  We all know she is the most positive driving force I have on my team.
Now, it's back to reality.  Today I have blood work and consultation.  My finger infections are getting worse and I may have to skip treatment again.  Hopefully I can get this under control and get back on track with full treatment.  Thanks for the prayers and support.

3 comments:

  1. Having Family visit is NEVER a burden!!! We love very minute of it!!! Wish you all came out more often!! :) Thanks for a wonderful week...the girls, Matt and I loved having you and Sam here! Now, we just have to start planning so you can be out here for the arrival of baby #3!!! :) Love you to the moon! XOXOXO, Al

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, talk about action-packed, tear-jerking happiness. Sounds like an amazing trip, Chuck. One of many more to come. And, congratulations, Allison! We wish you the best during your pregnancy. And the best to Matt in Pittsburgh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you didn't beat them up too bad on the golf course Chuck!

    ReplyDelete