Friday, January 13, 2012

Even in laughter the heart may ache....

The title of this post is from Proverbs 14:13.  It states "Even in laughter the heart may ache, and the end of joy may be grief".  I bring this up because I've realized that I have done more laughing than crying over the past couple months, and that's good.  I have always been a believer in having a good sense of humor and I continue to believe that now.  I have received a number of phone calls from friends checking to see how I'm doing.  Inevitably we end up laughing about things that we did in the past.  As part of my new daily activities I watch the Today show.  They are celebrating their 60th anniversary and all they do is relive the past by telling funny stories.  Face the facts, if you don't do anything fun or funny now, you will have nothing to reminisce about in the future.  Yesterday, while getting my blood work Vic, Lori and myself were laughing loudly in the exam room about something.  This type of laughter is not very common in the oncology dept. but, the nurses are drawn to it like moths to a flame.  They love talking to us and we are known as the "fun family".  There is plenty of time for sadness and it is always there.  There will be plenty of time for grief when the time comes.  Enjoy life while you can, laugh about it, joke about it.  Make people around you laugh and smile.  The serious moments in life will find you, the humorous moments are up to you to find.  Start looking for them today and you will have a better day.  Keep praying everyday!

4 comments:

  1. My friends have asked me how we stay so positive and continue to laugh like nothing is happening, and sometimes I don't know how to answer. But I realize that is all we have done our entire lives...laugh and have fun. It is just a part of us and that is why we have connected with so many people. God made us a family of joksters and has added the right people to our family that compliment us just right (Ali and Allison). If any body can beat this its you. We might just have to laugh the cancer out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, Chuck! Very well said! Again, you continue to inspire us all. LAUGHTER is indeed the best medicine! More prayers going out to you and your entire family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like we as a family have always used laughter. I remember the time we asked Grandma what position she played in basketball and laughed until our stomachs hurt when she said power forward.

    Or the time that Joe was not at a holiday and halfway through dinner Grandma said where's Joe and the rest of you on queue got up and started looking under the table and all around for him.

    Glad things are going in the right direction. Your blog is awesome as is your spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog has really opened my eyes Chuck... thank you for the positive words! Miss you all so much. Prayers from Andy and I coming your way all the way from Florida!

    ReplyDelete