Thursday, November 29, 2012

Three, two, one........Treatment

Yesterday was a long day. The goal at the end of the day was to have me receive the first round of my new treatment.  It started with the usual blood work in order to check my platelet count, liver function and tumor marker.  These numbers turned out as follows:  liver function numbers were ok but on the high side, tumor marker went up to 111, which I knew it would go up since I have not had treatment for 4 weeks and platelets were at 85, which is lower than they want but close enough.(this will be watched very closely and the option of removal of my spleen is still on the table if my platelet number stays under 90.) Next was the inspection of my fingers.  The stitches were just taken out Tuesday so the healing process was not totally complete.  After some discussion we decided to go ahead with the treatment as long as I promised to watch my wound for improper healing.  I have also been having some lower back pain for the past couple weeks, so I told them.  This prompted them to immediately call radiology and set up a couple of x-rays just to make certain it was not cancer related.  It was not.  The radiologist said I have some disc degeneration caused by....You guessed it, lengthy chemotherapy treatment!  They told me to rest my back and take some anti inflammation meds.  After all this I was finally cleared to get my infusion.  The infusion itself went without a hitch, although I could definitely tell I was getting a powerful medication pumped into me.  I really can't explain the feeling, you just know somethings up when your whole body gets warm.  I also resumed the chemo pills,  so I am once again at full speed ahead.  As of now I do not feel any strange side effects, I am just very tired.  I know I will start getting my energy back as my body gets used to the meds.  I have to admit it feels good to get back in the battle and start kickin some cancer butt again.  Keep praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment