Wednesday, December 5, 2012

One "weak" later

I wanted to give my new treatment a week before I commented on it.  As you can see in my title, the main side effect I am facing is weakness.  This new drug feels very similar to the first chemo drugs I was on.  The first few days after the infusion are the worst.  I feel very tired and my muscles and joints are very sore.  The good news is that as time goes by I am starting to feel better.  I don''t know if this is my body getting used to the drug or if this is the way it will always be after each infusion.  We'll see after the next treatment.
On a different note, I have to mention a couple of things that I was not certain if I would be here to experience but, by the grace of God I have been able to do so. First, putting up Christmas decorations.  We went all out this year and really decked out the house both in the front and the back yard.  It was a lot of work and I thank Sam and Vic for all their assistance.  Actually,  they did all the heavy lifting while I was more of an artistic supervisor.  It looks great.  Second and more importantly, watching Sammy coach his JV basketball team.  He is doing a great job.  It was always a great feeling when you would hear comments about how well your son was playing during a game and fortunately for me my boys earned a lot of those comments.  Now I hear parents making comments about how well the team is coached and how it's fun to watch their sons play and finally win.  It is actually very fun to get back to high school sports.  The atmosphere is very different from the college and pro scene, it is just raw sport.  The games are all exciting and the students are unbridled fun.  I am so happy I could see this! Sam is doing a great job and I am very proud of him.
I am now into my second year of what they call "survival".  That makes it sound like it has been nothing but a struggle, not true.  This has not been easy but, at the same time I have been able to truly absorb things that have been happening around me and get the best out of what they really mean to my life. Enjoying events like birthdays, holidays and even seasonal changes are more important to me now. Looking forward to special events takes my focus off the illness and gives me reasons to keep going.  So, what's next for me to enjoy?  Here are just a few..... Sam's continued success of his season, the Christmas Holidays and the big one for me, my first grandson!  Look forward to the important things that are coming up in your life. It will help you to enjoy them more when they are here.
Thanks for the support and keep praying!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you're coping with the new treatment and that you're continuing to enjoy the little things that have become big things. I can't wait to see the Christmas decorations, Mr. Griswold.

    ReplyDelete