Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Happy Cancerversary!

One year ago today I went in for a routine colonoscopy  Unfortunately the results from that procedure have changed my life.  The doctor found a large tumor which turned out to be cancerous.  To add insult to injury, they also told me the cancer had moved to my liver.  That is when everything went into "whatever you say mode".  We will be keeping you in the hospital.  OK.  You will have surgery tomorrow afternoon.  OK.  Drink this, swallow that.  OK.  Call your family members.  OK.  Everything will be fine.  OK.  We will do our best.  OK.  You have to make an appointment with an oncologist right away.  OK.  I was just along for the ride and what a ride it has been.  God was now at work assembling my support team.  Thanks to a great surgeon, my surgery went as good as it could.  The hospital team got me up and out in record time.  The oncologist, based on percentages, gave me little chance of survival but, he opted for a very aggressive treatment plan.  The nurses in the oncology department were always positive, helpful and caring.  My family and friends circled the wagons and gave me more energy and support than I could have ever asked for.  When God picks your team, don't bet against it.  I just lived a year longer than any of the "experts" thought I would and it's been a blast.  I have realized the importance of truly enjoying what is happening around you.  I have been shown how important family and friends are.  I have experienced the healing power of the Lord when the NP told Vic and I that there was something other than medicine at work based on my results.  My cancer may shrink my life in years but, it has caused my appreciation for my life and the people in it to grow. My goal is just to enjoy every day I have left more than the year before and tell everyone I know to do the same.  I'm going to start by making this Thanksgiving better than last year.  It shouldn't be that tough since last year I was in the hospital sipping chicken broth for my dinner.  Well, I have to start somewhere.  Thank you for all the prayers and support over this past year and God willing I am looking forward to more.    

No comments:

Post a Comment