Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Latest surgery update

I had my "procedure" yesterday as planned.  The surgery entailed placing a stent in the tube between my right kidney and my bladder.  It was verified that a tumor has formed on the outside of my colon and it is pressing on the tube causing it to partially collapse.  This collapse in turn had caused my kidney to swell and without treatment it would have shut down.  The stent that was used was a newer type of stent.  It is made of metal as opposed to the standard plastic tube that is usually used.  The anesthesiologist and all the OR nurses told me they had never seen this type of stent used and they were excited to see it.  On a side note; I was almost done getting prepped for the surgery.  The only thing left to do was put me to sleep when a nurse came in and said to slow down because "Charlie the Stent Man" has not shown up yet with the stent.  They said they were trying to get in touch with him but he was not answering his phone.  Well, let the small talk begin.  We talked about family, weather and eventually the lead nurse asked about my cancer.  I told them the whole story and asked them to use my story to convince friends and loved ones to get checked on a regular basis.  As we chatted it up in the operating room, Charlie delivered the stent and it was now sleepy time for me.  The surgery went as planned.  The surgeon had a little difficulty placing this type of stent but, all in all he said it went well.  There was some bad news.  During the operation the surgeon found a small tumor inside my bladder.  This was removed and it was sent out to see if it is part of my current cancer or if it something new  We will find out those details at a later date.  The recuperation process for me is going well.  The pain is manageable and is nowhere near the level after my spleenectomy.  Thank God!  Now I've just got to rest and heal up so I can get my chemo treatment on Thursday.  Thanks for the prayers and keep praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment