Friday, April 26, 2013

Just the facts

The PET scan has been read.  The consult with the urologist is complete.  In this blog entry I decided to list the facts that were learned.  I don't want to include any feelings or thoughts regarding the results, just the facts.  I'm doing this because I've had many people ask about the cancer itself and what is it doing. This is the information I as given.
On Wednesday I met with my oncologist to review the PET scan results.  I have not had a chemo treatment for almost 4 weeks so we all knew the tumors were growing.  Unfortunately, we did not think they had grown this much.  According to the radiologist report, my scan shows a significant spread of the cancer.  The tumor activity has increased in the areas we knew had tumors.  My liver, lungs and left side adrenal gland all showed an increase.  The new areas that are now involved include my abdominal wall, a lymph node in my chest and what is listed as a reoccurrence of the colon cancer on the outside of the colon near the original surgical sight.  This tumor is also causing the collapse of the tube between my kidney and bladder causing my right kidney to become compromised.  This brings us to the next procedure.  I met with the urologist on Thursday and he confirmed that a tumor is the cause of my kidney problems.  I will have surgery on Monday to correct that problem.  We have also decided that we cannot wait any longer on treatment.  I had a chemo infusion yesterday and hopefully this will start to shrink some of the tumor spread.  I have a lot going on right now and this seems to be the only plan right now that makes sense.  I will update everything as the smoke clears and we start getting some results.  Thanks for all of the support and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment