Wednesday, April 24, 2013

An answer to a prayer?

As I had mentioned, I was scheduled to get a PET yesterday.  The PET scan is done in order to see the tumor activity in my torso area.  The scan itself is a relatively simple procedure.  After fasting, starting the night before, I am injected with a radioactive solution.  After this injection I must lie still for 1 hour in order to allow the solution to get to the tumors.  After an hour, I am taken to the scanning tube, which takes about 30 min and the procedure is complete.  Normally this is a painless procedure.  Unfortunately this time was going to be different.  The back pain that I have been experiencing was so bad that I didn't know if I would  be able to complete the procedure because I couldn't lie down.  I eventually had to take pain meds and we completed the scan.
This back pain is becoming a major problem.  I have not been able to sleep at night, my appetite is low and I can't do anything.  I have been taking pain meds, stretching, hot pads and ice packs and no relief. My frustration level is very high.  So, what do you do when you feel there is no hope?  You pray!  I have been praying for relief of my back pain everyday.  Guess what?  God answers prayers.
When Vic and I got home from the hospital her phone rang.  Vic answered and it was a urologist office trying to set an appointment for me.  She did not have a clue as to why and then the home phone rang and it was the hospital.  I answered and the nurse explained to me what was going on.  The radiologist was reading my PET scan and was writing the report for my oncologist.  While looking at the scan the radiologist noticed something that was not right.  He saw that my right kidney was shutting down.  This was being caused by a blockage of a tube that goes from the kidney to the bladder.  He immediately called my doctor, who then immediately called a urologist and set an appointment for me.  There are a variety of reasons for this blockage but they all seem to be fixable. I asked the nurse if this could cause back pain and she said absolutely.  I had not mentioned my back pain to anyone during the PET scan.  The radiologist was not looking for this problem while reading the scan.  God intervened and answered my prayers. I have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow and I will update as the information comes in.  Keep praying........it works!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment