Thursday, December 13, 2012

1st numbers from new treatment

I went in yesterday for blood work.  Based on the past couple months of cancelled treatment, finger problems and more, I was really looking forward to some good news.  Well, it wasn't as good as I was hoping for.  My liver function numbers were unchanged and remain on the high side of normal.  My hemoglobin or red cell numbers are low which is the cause of some of my fatigue.  I also have to watch for abnormal bleeding and bruising that can happen with low red cell numbers.  My blood pressure is now on the high side.  They prescribed some medicine for me to curb this problem. (Yay, more pills) These problems are all a direct side effect of the Avastin and I am told not to worry, we will just have to keep an eye on these things.  My tumor marker did not go up but,  it only went down by 1 point.  I have to look at that as good news because it did not go up and it has only been one treatment so, I'll take that for what it's worth.  It is good to be back on treatment as opposed to doing nothing.  I just have to be patient and let the medicine do it's job.  I also have to continue to pray and allow God's will to be done and accept the results of both.
Now I do have some real good news!!  The best way to tell you what's going on now,  is to start at the beginning.  Approximately 2 months ago Vic and I decided we would go out to Baltimore to see the girls sometime in December. We selected a week in December that would allow us a chance to celebrate Christmas and more importantly we might be out there when Allison has the baby.  We booked the flights.  Fast forward to my new treatment plan and this is where the wrench got thrown into our plans.  My second round of treatment fell in the middle of our trip so we asked if I could reschedule it.  The answer was "absolutely not, change your vacation plan, this treatment is too important  too your outcome." I did not like the answer but, we decided it would be best for me to stay home and Vic would go out by herself.  This did not go over real well with both the girls and Allison, they wanted me out there.  Now Allison went to work to solve the problem.  She called Southwest Airlines and had my flight changed, for no charge, and booked me new flights in between my appointment yesterday and my treatment next week.  To make a long story short, I am leaving for Baltimore tomorrow morning and returning in time for my treatment next week.  Vic will keep her flights and we will overlap our trips by a few days.  WIN, WIN, WIN, that's how Allison described it and I agree.  God's will is not only for the treatment, it's for everything around us.  Thank you Lord!!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great News on the trip. Say Hi for me. The girls must be so big by now. The number will move in the right directions, one week is way to soon.

    Praying for you and your family always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless you Chuck have great trip

    ReplyDelete