Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Long Day

It's Wednesday night and I am beat.  I left Baltimore very early this morning in order to make my treatment appointment today.  More about my trip later.  First I'll update you on my day at the hospital.  Thanks to Sam for picking me up from the airport and spending his whole day with me.  It all started at 9am with blood work.  My results were not very good.  I still have a low platelet problem which is wreaking havoc on my treatment.  My tumor marker went up to 117 from 110.  Fortunately my liver function is still ok.  After the lab work was complete, Sam and I met with the Oncologist.  He was concerned with the low platelet count and decided to suspend the chemo pills from my treatment in the hopes this will give my body a chance to produce more platelets.  He did not want to fully stop the chemo so he decided to continue the infusion of Avastin.  I have a feeling that if this platelet thing does not get better we may have to have the spleen removal surgery.  Both the doctor and the nurse told me not to worry abut the increase in my tumor marker and to give this new treatment an opportunity to work.  At this point I have no other options so I have to stay positive.  Our meeting with the doctor took longer than usual so I lost my spot in line for the chemo suites.  It is sad to see the large number of people in need of chemotherapy.  This cancer is a bad thing.  We eventually got in, got my infusion and  got home late afternoon.  Finally, nap time!
Now, about my trip out east.  Awesome!!!! I am so glad I decided to go.  The game plan of being out there when Allison has the baby did not work out (stubborn little guy) but, seeing the girls was well worth the trip.  I was able to play, draw, read, watch movies and more from the time I got up until the time they went to bed.  Every morning started out with both girls waking me up and watching cartoons together before we had breakfast.  They were the best alarm clock I could ever ask for.  I think the highlight of the trip for me was being able to attend the girls Christmas concert.  I thought this would be very emotional for me to watch knowing it may be the only one I may ever see and I was right.  The funny thing was it was not a sad moment, it was a very happy moment thanks to Lillian.  Caroline and the 2 year olds sang first and like most 2 year old concerts the teacher was the only one singing while the kids stared into the crowd.  Very cute!  Then came the 4 year olds and our little performer.  Once the music started our Lillian was belting out the songs.  Every word, every note and every movement was perfect and very, very loud.  When it comes to performing this girl does not have a shy bone in her body and the joy I felt was overwhelming.  Thank you sweetheart, you made Papa's day!
Now, Vic is still out there and hopefully this little boy will grace us with his presence before she leaves.   That would be great for Vic and especially great for Allison, believe me she is ready.  I fully expect my next update to include the information on my new grandson.  Keep praying! Stay positive!

No comments:

Post a Comment