Friday, September 28, 2012

Mr. Consistency

I had my meeting with the oncologist today.  We reviewed my numbers from the blood work and looked at the results of the PET scan.  My numbers showed little to no movement from last week.  My platelets went down a little to 83 from 88.  A normal reading would be around 130.  My low numbers continue to be a concern and it weighs heavily on decisions made regarding treatment.  A low platelet count causes the blood not to clot as well as it should.  Thin blood and chemo do not go well together.  My tumor marker stayed the same again. It has been hovering around 19-20 for 4 weeks.  Now for the PET scan.  The scan results are reviewed by using the pictures and a very detailed report from the radiologist.  The doctor reads the report and shows us what he is referencing by pointing it out in the pictures.  Unfortunately he did have to point out a small increase in tumor activity in the liver.  He did say it was a small increase and not to get too hyper.  We just have to keep an eye on it.  I think he knows when I'm not happy with the results because after he told me about the increase he showed me my first scan and reminded me how far I have come.  It is truly amazing.  He then went on to explain what he thinks is a good course for us to take so we can get some positive results.  If you recall, my chemo infusion medication was decreased by 20% right after my finger surgery.  This was done in order to allow my system a better chance of healing.  Now that my fingers are almost healed, we decided to go back to 100% strength to see if that will move the needle.  That increase was started with today's treatment.  Coming from a sports background, I have always been told that consistency is a good thing. I think the only consistency I want now is being consistently told I'm getting better.  Keep praying!

No comments:

Post a Comment