Wednesday, September 19, 2012

It's in the air

When I stepped outside the past couple days, I could not help to take a deep breath and realize that summer is making way for fall. In the past this has always been an exciting time of year for me because it meant the beginning of something I really enjoy...football!  I think I have said the same thing every year, for as long as I remember, after I breath in the first cool air of the season, "Smells like football".  I did it again this year and then I took in another breath and quietly said to myself, "Thank you Lord, this smells like life".  I know there are so many things happening in our daily lives that we sometimes feel that if we stop "to smell the roses" we will miss out on what's happening next.  I've been there, lived that and I'm here now to tell you to slow down.  If you want to produce memories, you can only do that with what is happening now, you cannot form memories with future events.  My goal since my diagnosis has been to experience and enjoy events, not just get there and look for the next one.  The change of seasons has caused me to remind everyone to enjoy what's happening around you.  Even though the seasons change every year, I cannot take it for granted that I will be around to enjoy it.  Don't take for granted the events that are taking place in your lives right now.  It doesn't take long. Maybe a deep breath or a short "Thank you God" will implant the memory you might have missed. Thank you again for all the prayers and support.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Chuck, for the reminder. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing! Football season is always exciting for us as well. Friends, family, our house is a constant revolving door. Lots of cheering, anxiety, joy, fear, but lots and lots of memories. I sometimes find myself always rushing in my head to the next group of people coming in, or the next event, rather than inhaling, enjoying the moment, and just saying "THANK YOU GOD" We've been so blessed Dwan's 9 years in the NFL. No two guys experiences are always alike. I don't know how Matt and Ali have bounced around so much over the years.. I am in awe how they handle it though. I realize more and more how important structure, routine and stability are to me (the NFL laughs in my face, there is no such thing as stability in the NFL) This is the first year we are truly feeling what it's like being on the bubble(we were blessed to spend 6 consecutive years in baltimore and 2 in buffalo).. after signing a 4 month deal with Carolina we packed our clothes and our bodies and made the temporary move. After a few weeks I found myself wanting to "rush" through the season, because I just want to know whats next. I want to go back to our "home" which is in Buffalo, and wait to see what's next. This is a perfect reminder to enjoy each second of each day. Thank God for Dwan's health (as well as all of ours) and all of our Blessings, for the friends and family that travel to see us every other weekend.. and to enjoy each minute they are here, for football will soon enough be over. Our life will be filled with plenty of "moving on to the next chapter" and I want to enjoy each page of it and not rush to the end of the book. Thank you Chuck for your constant inspiration you give to us all, when you have every single reason not to, you keep on inspiring! God Bless you!! Praying for you always!

    ReplyDelete