Friday, July 20, 2012

Finally, back on the juice.

I had blood work done yesterday and based on the results the doctor feels I should be ok to resume chemo treatment right away.  There was a mixed bag of factors that went into his decision.  My finger infection looks like it is under control. My platelet count is in the upper 90's, which is as high as it has been in months.  My liver function numbers  and tumor marker number are going up which indicates that there is increased tumor activity.  Based on all this, we are going to resume treatment today.
There will be a slight change in the regiment of chemo meds I will be on.  We are going to continue taking the Xeloda pills, six per day, at the same dosage as before.  We will also stay on the drug Erbitux because of the good results we have experienced with tumor reduction.  The dosage however will be reduced by 20%.  Hopefully this reduction will slow the major side effects I was getting from this drug such as skin rash, finger infections and joint weakness/pain. We will be watching this very closely and make changes early on if problems occur.  I do know one thing for sure, we will stay as aggressive as possible in both treatment and faith in the Lord's healing power.  It feels good to get back on the offensive in this battle.  Keep praying!

No comments:

Post a Comment