Friday, February 1, 2013

Remember

I've been thinking about writing this post for quite awhile now.  After receiving the information from my latest scan and blood work, I think the time to start this post now is a good idea.  This will be a long post and an incomplete post.  I will be adding to this post up until the day I die.  The idea behind this post has to do with how I will be represented in the "Remember When" conversations that my children, grand children, other family members and friends have in the future.  As we get older we pass along memories of what we feel were interesting and important to our family and friends.  Having a grand parent tell a grandchild what they did or said when they were younger is an important experience for both of them.  Just think how many times you sat and listened to your father or grandfather tell you a story that started with "I remember when you were little you said......".  This is a list of items, statements or comments that have impacted me, that I want to be able to have on the record, so they can be passed along.  I am going to start from the time I was diagnosed.  Some of the items I put on this list will not make sense to anyone other than the person who shared it with me.  I will try to keep the timeline the best I can but, I'm sure I will make a few errors.  I will add to the list as time goes by.  This list is to be shared with family and friends.

  • Your liver numbers are high so we want you to have an ultrasound
  • Based on the ultrasound, we want you to have a CT scan
  • You know you have a large tumor in your colon
  • No bag
  • Your liver is 80-90% compromised with tumors
  • Max maybe 2 months
  • Treatment is working very well
  • Packers lose after 15-1 season
  • There is more than medicine at work here
  • Easter
  • Are my prayers working?
  • So, how are you feeling?
  • I want to be the mam
  • What would you like to drink sir?
  • I'll have a pizza with spiderwebs and worms please
  • Good morning Papa....can we watch a show
  • Let's build a fort
  • Your blog has inspired me
  • How are your fingays?
  • Can I see Ramzi?
  • Wicked- the musical 
  • Dance Party
  • BCC golf with boys
  • Zoo
  • Can you read me a story?
  • Papa, let's do it again
  • Can you make pea soup?
  • I'm dry
  • It's going to be a boy
  • Your CEA is going up
  • He has to go home so he can have his surgery in Wisconsin
  • 4 year old soccer games
  • Thanksgiving with family 
  • Singing like angels
  • School programs
  • Charles Owen
  • No, you cannot travel
  • Ramzi sit.....and paw
  • Get down dog!!
  • Finger Dance
  • Sleep over in Princess Room
  • Schooch over
  • Movie and popcorn
  • Cancer spreading
  • Owie on face and fingays again
  • Medical A-Team, Vic-Allison-Matt
  • The eternal optimist
  • I love you one thousand times plus 27
  • I luuuuuuuuv   ya
  • Gooooood Morning- What's for breakfast?  Pizza and alligator toes
  • Good. Feel good
  • Status Quo
  • Every body is different
  • I'm sorry, this is going to be uncomfortable
  • This was not in my long term goals
  • My body functions are all controlled by medication
  • Will you be my valentine? No, Mason is already my valentine.
  • We are going to see Spiders Web
  • He's the only kid that will need his Fisher Price golf clubs re-gripped
  • Great season Northstars
  • 1/2 price apps
  • Nana no pants

3 comments:

  1. Fingaaays may be the best one! Gotta love Caroline's difficulty saying her "r's" :) While I love and appreciate your doing this...I fully believe we will have you around for a long time. In the mean time, we will enjoy all our awesome memories! Our children all need to know and remember their Papa Charlie...and with God, anything & everything is possible! Including miracles! We pray for that every night! Your strength and will to live are incredible! We pray you continue to fight and know we are all with you every step of the way...Love you to the moon! Your Al xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chuck - remember what my golf clubs look like? Bob Charles signature clubs from over 30 years ago. I still have people tell me that I should donate them to the Smithsonian Institute. Well, I bought a metal driver to go along with my persimmon driver,spoon,baffy and cleek. I'm telling you this because I fully intend to play a round of golf with you so I can "show off" my "new" metal driver. Can't hit it worth a darn but it sure is pretty. So - now - you let me know when we can tee it up. I am a patient man. Prayers and well wishes to you and the FAM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chuck, many of the fond memories I have of you and your family are centered around "the cottage" and later your mother's home on Big Cedar Lake. I remember, for instance, fishing on the pier with Matt when he was a toddler. I remember BRUTUS. Until this day, I can not recall seeing a black lab any larger than Brutus. I remember when Vicki announced that she was pregnant with Sam. I remember when Matt was small, sitting on a stoop next to his dad, thinking to myself - My gosh is going to be tall one day. Only, who knew? I will always cherish the memories I have of your mom - Jean Katula. There's no question about it. I remember how proud you were of Matt when he MADE HIMSELF part of the team at UWM. I remember buying my first new car from you. Most of all, I remember and likely always will, how very handsome a couple you and Vic are. I'll remember decent, kind and funny man that I will always respect and admire. May God continue to Bless You abundantly on your journey. Life is short. Some would say that it's too darn short. But, eternity means forever. As close as I came to expiring nearly two years ago due two massive clotting in both lungs - I know that Jesus Christ Is Lord and that he is with us in a most profound way when we are suffering and struggling so. He NEVER leaves our side. God Himself lifts us up and holds us in his arms. There is no pain, uncertainty or fear in this space - just love. And Chuck, I love you!

    ReplyDelete