Thursday, February 7, 2013

Little illness vs Big illness

I was supposed to start my new treatment regimen today.  Unfortunately, it did not happen.  What's stopping me from battling my cancer?  The common cold!  That's right, I came down with a cold earlier in the week and it has not gotten any better.  As of now my immune system is strong enough to fight a cold but, if I start taking chemo drugs again my system could become compromised. If that happens my little cold could turn into a lot worse.  As a precaution I was tested for the flu, which came back negative.  They also had me get a chest x-ray just to make certain I have nothing else going on in there.
I did have blood work done and the numbers were as follows.  Platelets went up to 116, the highest they have been for a very long time.  That was great news because it clears the way for a variety of different chemo options if it can stay high.  My tumor marker went up to 174.  This was not a surprise due to the fact I have been off full chemo treatment for over one month.  We are scheduled to restart next Thursday pending my overall health status.  I think I just need to rest.  That's what I'm going with...nap time!  Keep praying.

 Note: If you are asked to give a nasal swab to test for the flu virus...RUN!!  This was one of the most uncomfortable and painful things I have had to do.  The nurse started apologizing as soon as she came in the room.  Picture a long Q-tip with a pipe cleaner on the end.  Shove this in your nose so it goes down the back of your throat.  You know when it's in because the pain is intense.  The bad news is you have to do both nostrils so you know what's coming on the second one. If it is not life threatening my advice, don't do it.

1 comment:

  1. Good to know, the note that is. Now go back to bed so God can do his work, Get well soon. See you in the Spring. God bless!

    ReplyDelete