Friday, February 15, 2013

Back in the saddle

 It's been a long time, but as of yesterday I've been deemed healthy enough to accept chemo.  The past couple of weeks have been very difficult.  I've battled low platelet counts, sinus infections and the common cold.  Unfortunately, the time that it took to take care of these problems gave the cancer an opportunity to grow and grow it did.  My tumor marker as of yesterday was up to 192.  If all goes well I will continue receiving a weekly infusion of Erbitux.  That's right, this is the same drug that caused my face rash and my finger infections.  It is also the drug that has shown the best results for reducing my tumors in the past.  We will stay on this drug for as long as we can knowing that eventually the side effects will probably cause us to have to stop.  We are at a point where the treatment has become more of a punch-counter punch method.  We will continue to change drugs and doses as needed to try and stay ahead of the cancer growth.  I am happy to be fighting the cancer again, but as I sit here writing this blog I'm reminded how chemo makes you feel...Terrible.  I guess I just have to allow my body to get acclimated to the drugs and continue to pray for positive results.  Once again, patience is a virtue.

I am also very pleased to be able to wish Samuel Lawrence Katula a Happy 24th Birthday.  Thank you Sam for all you have done in order to make your Dad's battle easier to cope with.  I love you!

Keep praying everyone, the fight is back on!

No comments:

Post a Comment