Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Back on the juice

I made a visit tot the hospital today.  I had blood work scheduled and a meeting with the nurse practitioner.  Over the past couple weeks the doctor and nurses have been putting together a game plan for me based on my need for treatment vs low platelets.  I had been taken off all treatment in order for my platelets to increase.  Once my numbers are at a decent level we can start chemo again and try to figure out which drugs are doing damage and which are doing good.  Well, today was the day to start.  My platelets came in at 83, still below the magic number of 100 the doctor would like to see but, for me it is good.  My prior numbers before they took me off chemo were down to 38.  The doc decided to give me the Avastin infusion, at full dose, and postpone the Xeloda pills for another two weeks.  I think this is the only way to see if the Avastin or the Xeloda is causing my platelet problem.  On the bad side, my tumor marker is continuing to rise, it's at 149.  Hopefully the full dose of Avastin will start to slow the tumor growth.  All we have to do is figure a way to kill off the tumors without the side effects killing me off first, simple.  By the way, the Avastin has caused my blood pressure to go up to levels high enough to need medication to control it. So far those meds are working.  Overall today was a good day.  I pray this is a new start and we can get back to attacking the cancer.

Just for a quick update, Owen (my grandson) is doing quite well.  He's gaining weight and getting bigger everyday.  I've been able to talk to him via computer and I can't wait to hug and kiss him.  Soon enough, if I can't go out by him, he will come by me.  I can't wait.  Grandchildren, the best medicine I could ever have and the only side effects are....love!  THANK YOU LORD.  Keep praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment