Friday, May 10, 2013

Increase treatment

I met with the oncologist yesterday in order  to review my numbers and tweak my treatment plan.  As I stated in my last post I believe the hardest parts of my latest surgeries are behind me.  I was told that the complete healing process would be more like 4-5 months.  I will still have to put up with some pain from scar tissue and general fatigue.  I think I can handle that.  The doctor also told Vic and I that the node they found in my bladder was colon cancer.  This was bad news that the cancer has spread to my bladder but, it was good news that it was colon cancer and not a new strain that would have to be treated differently.  My liver and kidney function numbers are on the high side of normal but ok for me.  What's kind of funny is my platelet count is actually on the high side.  This is good news for our decision to add Xeloda back into the mix.  The Xeloda is a pill form of chemo that I will take twice a day for 2 weeks and then take one week off.  I was on the Xeloda for quite a while until my platelet count was not sufficient to support it.  So, as of now I am taking a weekly infusion and daily oral chemo.    The last thing we looked at was my tumor marker.  Unfortunately it went up 17 points.  My doctor told me he was no longer going to chase the marker number.  Instead he is going to make certain that I, as his patient, is comfortable.  This actually made me feel good.  I have always said that I will trust in the Lord for my outcome and I feel this is the right decision based on God's guidance for my medical team. I will have another appointment next week and we will see how the new treatment is working.  Keep praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment