Friday, August 2, 2013

The day after the Fair

I've starting writing this entry about 3 times now.  I've had to start over because I keep falling asleep.  I guess that is the sign that I had a wonderful day at the State Fair yesterday.  To tell the truth, wonderful is an understatement.  It was everything I dreamed it would be.  Lillian and Caroline were wide eyed and full of energy from the time we got there until the time we left.  The rest of the gang included Allison, Vic and Sam.  We missed Owen who was at home with a sitter and Ali who had to work.  Our plan was to see a few animals, grab some dinner and be out in a couple hours.  I thought this would be a good plan for me and the girls based on my energy level and their attention spans for looking at cows rear ends and unlimited fried anything.  Boy was I wrong! Once we got there, we were all energized.  Thanks Sammy for pushing me around in my transport chair, I could not have done the fair without it.  The girls walked through the cattle barn and loved seeing the cows up close.  They especially loved the fact that the cows had to take baths. Then we went looking for the horses.  The horses are my favorite animal at the fair and I hoped they were available to see.  I knew the girls would love to see the huge draft horses.  We walked for quite awhile until we found the horses and it was worth the walk because we got to see them up close.  The exhibitioner had pulled the horses out of their stalls to get them ready for the 6pm wagon pulling show.  They are huge.  We got to see them get washed and the girls loved that the horses had their hair braided.  What's next, who's hungry, what do you want to eat?  We were ready to go.  We decided to get something to eat and then we were going to see Katie Duesing who was working the trampoline ride.  We eventually found it and Lillian got harnessed up.  She jumped around a little and then found her stride.  With Katie's help Lillian starting going high enough to try a flip, and man did she flip.  She flipped forward and she flipped backwards.  She flipped more than I thought she ever could.  I think we have an athlete on our hands.  We started to leave and go onto our next adventure when Papa Charlie saw the pony rides.  I have to see my grand children on the pony rides before I go.  Both girls said yes so we paid, got them on the ponies and we were ready to go.  Or so we thought.  Caroline decided she didn't want to go without Nana.  So, in order to alleviate an eruption, Nana stepped up and walked next to the pony.  All it took was one time around and Caroline was fine but, Nana stayed walking with her the whole ride anyway.  Nana did find out the reason the workers wear boots instead of flip-flops and we also learned it all cleans off.  Time for more fun, "Let's go on the slide Sammy.  You have to go on it too Nana".  Their wish was my command.  Where is the slide?  After more walking we found it, got our burlap, climbed the stairs and Sam, Nana, Lils and Caroline flew like birds and went down the big yellow monster.  "Can we do it again, can we do it again?"was all I heard.  Just like any good Papa I answered with a loud, "let's get something to eat and come back later, ok?"  We all agreed and started the trek once again for food.  Burgers from the cattleman's grill, roasted corn, Millies Italian sausage or dessert.  What do we get?  We got them all!  After a short rest we decided to go back to the trampoline and Lillian showed her stuff again. After that we all looked at each other and started to think we were done.  I asked the girls and a past promise Papa made was brought to my attention.  The big yellow slide was to be done one more time and this time with a grand daughter's request.  Lillian sat in my lap and asked "Papa could you go with me down the slide?"  I couldn't say no.  I looked at the long run of stairs and told myself just take your time and you will never regret doing it.  I was right, that was the best slide ride I had ever taken in my life.  Whew, let's go home.  CREAM PUFF!!  We almost forgot the cream puffs.  Immediately Sam asked where is the cream puff place.  Unfortunately, I had to tell him he only has to push me across the entire fairgrounds to get there.  No complaints from anyone and we got our dessert.  Now it is time to leave.  All we have to do is walk from the back of the grounds to the front where we parked.  We were almost to the parking lot when Lillian noticed she had not gone on any rides like the Ferris wheel or roller coaster.  Were we lucky that we had to walk right through the mid-way to get to the car.  "12 tickets please " said Allison as she told the girls that they will be allowed 2 rides and we are done.  Ride #1 spinning tea cups, check.  Ride #2 roller coaster , check.  Both Lillian and Caroline had experienced the WI State Fair and I got to do it with them.  Thank God!  Thank God! Thank God!  I am paying physically today for my actions yesterday but, I can also re-live the experience mentally forever.  Keep praying.

3 comments:

  1. What a great day at the Fair Chuck! WOW - you even walked up all those steps and then slid down that 'gigantor' slide. Great memories for your grandkids. How are Vic's feet smelling today:) Thanks for the update. Continue to work the beads for you and the FAM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes it official. Chuck, you are my hero! WOW. What a day you all had together. I am learning by your example to day one day at a time and to savor the moment. It's important for us all to do the same. God's Healing Grace be with you Chuck..

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to have made those memories with your grandaughters Chuck. I'm so happy Lillian got to ride down the big slide with her Papa. I know it probably took everything to get up those stairs...but only you could do it! God bless you! You're AMAZING! I ♥ U!

    ReplyDelete