Saturday, July 27, 2013

This weeks update

I had an unusual week.  The "good day, bad day" scenario played out.  I had a couple of days that I would definitely consider bad.  I was not able to get myself out of bed because of the pain.  Vic did a wonderful job helping to manage the pain and learned as much as me in the process.  It is very important to stay ahead of any discomfort.  If you let it get away from you, you will not catch up and a day in bed will probably be the recipe for the day.  The hospice nurse is stopping in three times a week now and between her and Vic I feel very well taken care of.  We also met with our social worker  this week.  This will be an every two week occurrence and the information he can give us is invaluable. As part of the hospice package, the social worker makes certain you get what you need to be comfortable.  I mentioned we are going to try to make it to the State Fair this week with the grand kids.  I told him if I could handle this physically we would rent a wheel chair and go for the afternoon.  His immediate response was "what kind of chair do you need?". After talking about what would be best for me he ordered a Transport chair that will be delivered to the house in a couple days.  He said if you need something ..."Just Ask!"  My comfort is the goal and they mean it.
Overall it was a good week.  Allison is still here with the kids and I get to see them almost everyday.  Having them here with me has been so great for both them and me.  I thank Allison for staying as long as she can.  My older brother and his family came in from Minn to spend some time with me, which I really appreciate.  Vic's brother and family also stopped by last night. Sam and Ali came by after long nights at work.  What else can you do but have a huge family bon-fire, which we did.  It was a great night and it is something I will do whenever I can because I'm with family and making a smore is not physically demanding.  If God allows me to spend my finals days like this, I'll take it.  Another good week....Check!  Keep praying and I would love to hear from you.

6 comments:

  1. Hang in there Chuck. Anxious to hear how State Fair goes with the grandchildren. Thinking about you and praying a lot for you and the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers constantly! Now, go enjoy a cream puff with those little sweeties!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Chuck, My name is Barbara Kass and I am Brian Kass's mom, Sam's friend from grade/high school. I have been following your blog since it appeared on Vicki's facebook page. I wanted to take a moment to tell you how inspiring you are....and how blessed I have been to be able to follow your journey. Although you haven't known it, you have been a constant in my prayers, as I'm sure you are in many other's prayers too. Your bravery, faith and peace have been heroic. You are an inspiration to me, and I pray I can have your grace and courage when I need it too. I have shared your inspiration with others going thru life's challenges. It has made a difference! You will continue to be in my prayers. If there is anything Vicki needs, please tell her to ask....although the support of family and friends that is surrounding you at this time seems to be a source of great strength for all. Thank you again for sharing your journey. May God keep you wrapped in his eternal peace. With Love, Barbara Kass

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Chuck - There is not a moment that goes by that I dont't think of you. Your strength, courage, faith, and love for your family is an inspiration to all who know and love you. I am happy to hear that your precious angels are here with you during this time. I hope you have a wonderful and memorable time at State Fair...and hope you have an appetite to eat some of that greasy and delicious food! Always know you are truly loved and cherished by many. You, and your family are always in my thoughts and prayers. I LOVE YOU!

    LOVE,
    Ann Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chuck, I think about you all everyday. We are praying for your comfort and for your peace.

    ReplyDelete