Saturday, August 10, 2013

What's going on?

Quick update as I start my 7th week on hospice.  My nurses have all given me good scores regarding my vital signs so my heart and lungs are keeping pace.  Unfortunately, my liver and kidneys along with the pain are not doing as well.  I can definitely tell my system is getting worse due to the fact I am always tired.  According to the nurses, the combination of increased fatigue and pain will continue until the end, not good. I had another good week from the standpoint of being able to get around.  My major trip of the week was being able to fulfill a promise I made to my oldest grand daughter.  I promised her that I would get her ears pierced for her 5th birthday and that I would be there for the piercing.  So, on Wednesday, I loaded up my transport chair and we headed for the mall.  Allison, Caroline, Owen and Vic were in the audience also.  We picked out some beautiful butterfly earrings and the process began.  I have to give Lillian a ton of credit because after the first one you know all the, "Don't worry, it won't hurt", is all a bunch of #%$^&*#. (fill in the blanks) That second one was going to hurt as much as the first and she still did it anyway. Happy Birthday Lil's, Papa Charlie loves you. Major Mission accomplished and not a moment too soon.  It was decided that Al and the kids had to get back home to Baltimore.  I'm sad to say they are now back home but I understand they had to get back to their lives.  Lillian needed to get organized for school, Caroline needed to get organized for her activities and Owen needed to get organized for more growing and living life in general.  I was blessed being able to have them with me for almost one month.  I was actually allowed to see them grow up, it was great.  It was funny when the kids and Al came over while we were getting a visit from my hospice nurse.  As we were sitting in the living room discussing my case, the door flew open and the excitement began.  Caroline was a bit crabby and was crying.  Lillian ran person to person to say hello with hugs and kisses.  Ramzi starting barking loud and long.  I now had to introduce Allison to the nurse with a little higher volume than we were using before.  The first thing the nurse asked me was, "Does all this bother you?" I laughed and said, "Absolutely not." I told her this was music to my ears and wouldn't have it any other way.  If this is not happening to you, get your family more excited to be together!
The hardest thing I had to do was say good bye to the kids and Allison.  Did I want them here when I pass?  I don't really know.  The more I think about it, the more I'm glad they will not be here.  I want their last memories to be happy ones and we have accomplished that for sure.  God has allowed me to see my grandchildren grow.  He also allowed the kids to bond with Sam and Ali, which was very apparent with how tight they are now.
Every day after the 4-6 weeks I was given by the doctor is supposed to be borrowed time.  Borrowed from who?  The only person who can give you more time on this earth is God.  I've come to the conclusion that if I am going to borrow anything from anybody, it will be time from God.  If He wants to give, I will be more than happy to receive but, when the time comes and the time runs out I'm ready.  Keep Praying!

7 comments:

  1. Continue to enjoy very much reading your updates Chuck. Thanks for keeping them coming. Makes one realize what is truly important in life. You have been blessed with not only a wonderful family but a deep trust in the Lord. He will take care of you and your family. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very successful week! It is so wonderful that you are able to take in each moment and love it for what it is. You are such an inspiration to everyone, really you always have been. Your willingness to share your journey and life is just the cherry on top! I am sure Lillian looks beautiful with her new pierced ears. She sounds so brave, must run in the family :)
    We are thinking about you and the family and praying for you always.
    Nicole Cutraro

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pharmacy at Vic's work thinks of you often. We are so glad you got to experience another special moment. Take care!

    CarePlus Pharmacy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing all your fantastic new memories with us Chuck. I stood in front of the big slide at the Fair on Sunday, looked up at all those stairs and couldn't help but be in awe of your determination. You never cease to amaze. You are always in my thoughts and prayers. Keep those memories coming!! Angel Clemens

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chuck,

    This is Kristen Jaworski (Nicole’s sister, aka “Chuck J.”) writing. Nicole had forwarded me the link and I have been following your blog. Your strength, faith, positive mindset, love for family, friends and every moment of life is truly inspirational – thank you for writing and sharing your journey. Writing is definitely one of your many gifts, as I am able to paint pictures in my mind as I read your stories. Reading about Lillian getting her ears pierced brought back a flood of memories! Such a big deal for every girl! Gosh, I remember getting a pair of dangly earrings the same day I got my ears pierced and just couldn’t wait until the studs could come out and I could put those dangly ones in. Earrings are my most favorite accessory and I can’t remember the last time I went a day without wearing any. I’m sure Lillian will think of you every single day when she is putting her earrings in.

    You have reminded me not to sweat the small stuff, to be grateful to God every day for another day, to enjoy life, the people in your life and the moments whether they be big or small. I think of you often and you and your family remain in my daily prayers. Here’s to the power of prayer and making more memories!
    Kristen Jaworski

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chuck,
    Just letting you know that a number of your CMH classmates have been following the blog or asking about you, thinking of and praying for you often.
    Bob Bernhardt

    ReplyDelete