Thursday, June 27, 2013

The decision of a lifetime.

The first thing I have to do is thank my son Sam for jumping in and keeping you updated on my progress.  It was much more difficult to do than anyone could imagine. I will continue from here.

I went to the hospital on Monday for my usual.  Blood work, meet with the nurse and the Oncologist and if all looks good we will have some sort of treatment.  The treatment that I was on the prior 2 weeks was very difficult on me and caused a lot of pain and other bad side effects.  Vic and I had decided that if this treatment does not show any positive benefits we were going to ask the doctor for a new plan. We needed something that both of us could tolerate physically and emotionally.  We were looking for the only thing left, The Wonderdrug.  We were looking for the impossible but, we knew we were running out of options. What drugs would give me the power to slow the growth of my cancer in order to allow me to enjoy my extra days with Vic?  When the results from all the tests came back, these questions that we had kind of been joking around about suddenly became our reality.  I was being checked in to the Cancer wing ASAP.  It was finally clear just how sick I really was.  The decision I had to make was no longer regarding the type of drugs I want to be on.  I had to decide how I want to spend my final days.  What type of Hospice, permanent or visits.  The time had finally arrived and the question that Vic needed answered for so long could be asked.  The best guess based on the numbers is that I have 4-6 weeks to live.
I was discharged from the hospital on Wednesday and Thursday starts the beginning of the end.  My goal is to have a good day everyday. I will now pray that that happens.  I'll do my best to keep up on this blog. If I can't,  I always have Sam. Thanks for the support and prayers.

3 comments:

  1. Chuck, you and the rest of your family remain in our daily thoughts and prayers. I will always think of you as a confident and courageous man and a great friend as well. By your example, you have shown so many of us the true meaning of Faith in God and His Plan for our lives, of true devotion to family, and 'grace under fire'. I am a better person for knowing you and Vic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chuck,

    After just learning of your blog this morning, I read it from the very first entry to your most recent. The message I was going to leave here became quite lengthy, so I sent it to your Hotmail address that was previously posted.

    Thank you for the written gift of your journey: your life, your loves, your grace, your faith. Although it has been many years since seeing you, the strength and depth of who you are continues to shine through your words.

    God's peace and comfort to you and your family,
    Sandy (Brunner) Mills

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chuck,
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I think of your often since Bob told me of your journey and just learned about your blog today. Your faith is inspiring and your family sounds wonderful. Enjoy every minute with them, their love will hold you tight in the days ahead. Although I have not seen you in awhile you will always be a friend and an important part of my life. I love you Chuck and will continue to pray for you and your family.
    Love,
    Kathy Budiac

    ReplyDelete