Monday, June 10, 2013

Since we last talked.....

As I explained in my last post, I received a new treatment regimen last Monday.  My initial plan was to give it a couple days and then report on how I was doing.  Well,  the first few days after treatment I felt like I was run over by a bus.  I think every muscle in my body hurt.  My digestive system was in disarray.  I was so fatigued that I didn't get out of bed unless it was an emergency.  I knew they told me this treatment would be tough.  I was not prepared for how tough. The only thing I could do is ride it out and hope it gets better.  That was a good plan until I ended up in the emergency department.  On Thursday night my temp spiked and my, what I call "Tumor Pain", got to the point where I could not bear it.  They gave me fluids and anti nausea meds and ran a bunch of tests. I was deemed ok and they sent me home at 1am.  When I woke up Friday I did feel better but not good.  We contacted my doctor and after reviewing the test results from the ER, we decided to give it a little more time.  Here I am on Monday and I finally feel good enough to make this entry.  I still have a good amount of lower back pain that is caused by both tumor growth and tension.  I have been able to keep that pain at a manageable level with the use of Oxy.  Just a bit of perspective as to what I've been going through.  Matt, Allison and the kids came into town for Owen's baptism last Sunday.  Matt had to get back home for work and Allison and the kids have been here since. Here's your perspective,  I've felt so bad that  I have not been able to have the grand children stay with us at our house.  I didn't think there was anything that could stop that.  Well, I was wrong.  The good news is that I think I am getting a little better everyday and they will be here with Papa Charlie for a sleep over very soon.  I will also uphold my promise to take them to the Zoo some time this week.
The battle is getting tougher.  The cumulative effect of all the drugs along with the tumor increase has really taken it's toll on my body.  There are so many "Catch 22's" when treating cancer.  The medicine that gets rid of the tumors makes you feel sick.  You have to eat in order to keep your strength up but, you never feel real hungry.  It's important to keep your exercise level up but, you are so tired you can't even think about walking.  I am a walking, talking example of "Day to Day".  I can't plan to do anything because there is no guarantee that I will be physically capable to do it.  My Mantra is now, "If I feel good now, do it now."
As I go back and read this entry I want everyone to know that I am not trying to be negative, it's just that the things going on with my disease are negative.  I have many positive things going on too.  My grandchildren are in town.  Last night Allison, the girls and Owen spent most of the day into the evening with me.  Sam and Ali made a delicious dinner for us and we all had a great time.  The Zoo is coming up.  I hope to have a bon fire complete with smores one night this week.  Whatever I can do, I will do.  Every memory I can create is important and God willing I will be filling my memory bucket this week.  Thanks for all the support, Keep praying and keep the comments and questions coming.

1 comment:

  1. Still praying for you Chuck. You are showing so much strength to your family and your friends. You are truly an inspiration to us all. Thanks for your updates. God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete